Energy Saving in the Kitchen
- The grains can be soaked in water longer which will reduce the energy for cooking steeply.
- Cut the vegetables into smaller pieces so that they will be cooked faster and the consumption of gas is saved. Soak the vegetable in water for some time and cook, this will also save the gas.
- When you cook, cover the cooking vessel with a lid so that the steam and heat will not be let out and the cooking will be done faster. When water evaporation is not needed, close the lid of the vessels,. An open vessel for heating water can consume about five times the energy required for a closed vessel.
- In the pressure cooker try to combine rice, dhal and vegetables.
- Select frying pan according to the quantity of the food to be cooked. If the food to be cooked is less use small frying pans and avoid the wastage of gas.
- Any food item taken out of refrigerator , avoid heating it immediately, as it will consume a lot of gas. Take it out 30 minutes earlier and allow the food to come to atmospheric temperature before your cooking or heating it.
- Don’t light the stove and search for food to be cooked. Keep them ready near the stove and then light the stove. Light a gas stove using gas lighter instead of using a match stick.
- For reheating and heating use Micro wave, which is fairly more energy efficient.
- Start the practice of family members eating together so that there is no need for heating the food again and again.
- If hot water is often needed , arrange to store hot water in a thermo- flask.
Refrigerator Power Saving
Do not keep hot food in the refrigerator which will not only strain the Refrigerator but will also increase the power consumption.
Wet Grinder power saving
Before wet grinding soak the grains longer– longer the soaking, lesser is the energy for grinding, and lesser electricity bill for you.
- Heating with open flame is very inefficient even with right sized vessels- avoid using smaller vessels for heating
- If frequent need for heating water is required, arrange to store hot water – even using electricity with storage is more economical if frequent heating is required
- Soaking the grains can reduce the energy for cooking drastically – soak as long as possible without compromising on taste
- Soaking also helps in wet grinding – longer the soaking, lesser is the energy for grinding
- Always close the lid of the vessels, when water evaporation is not needed. An open vessel for heating water can consume about five time s the energy required for a closed vessel.
- Do not keep hot objects in the refrigerator and do not heat the refrigerated material without bringing them closer to atmospheric temperature
- Micro wave is one of the most energy efficient cooking appliance – use it as much as possible – especially for reheating.
- Have the materials ready before lighting the stove
- Pressure cooker consumes lesser energy for the same cooking.